Saturday Walkers Club
Pluckley - Trees

Pluckley - Trees

by msganching

English Country Cottage

English Country Cottage

by msganching



by msganching

Pink stuff and wall

Pink stuff and wall

by moontiger

Bark bark bark

Bark bark bark

by moontiger

Two trees

Two trees

by moontiger

Pluckley Circular Walk

Gentle walk through quiet Kent Orchards with ancient pubs - Darling Buds of May territory. Hilly afternoon options.

The Low Weald of Kent and The Darling Buds of May


Main walk: 11.5km (7.2 miles).

With shorter extension: 14.2km (9.2 miles)

With longer extnension: 18km (11.2 miles)


Two trains an hour (one an hour on Sunday) go from London Charing Cross to Pluckley (journey time 1 hour 15 minutes). Take the train nearest to 10am to get to lunch in time. For those driving, there is a paid car park at Pluckley station.


OS Landranger Map : 189, OS Explorer Map : 137


1 out of 10: almost entirely flat, with one gentle climb

Walk notes

This is a fully updated version of this gentle walk in a low lying area of Kent, made famous by the writer H.E Bates, who lived in the village of Little Chart Forestal, passed on this walk. This is quiet country: there are no great landscape features, no grand houses, and yet this is a quintessentially English walk, with fields, orchards, a couple of ancient pubs (one allegedly the most haunted in England), and towards the end, a fine and unexpected view over the Kentish landscape.

The walk is at its most perfect in mid to late May when the apple blossom is out, the lanes are full of drifts of cow parsley, and there are not infrequently vast fields of yellow oilseed rape somewhere or other on the walk. Interest on the walk is provided by the arched ‘Dering windows’ seen on many of the houses, which reflect the fact that this land was owned for nearly nine hundred years by the Dering family, who received it as a grant from William the Conqueror.

Walk options

This web version of the walk includes an optional afternoon extension. There are two different versions of this – one which adds 3.2km (2 miles) to the walk, making a total walk of 14.7km (9.2 miles), and another which adds 6.5km (4 miles), making a total walk of 18 miles (11.2 miles). Both routes climb to a fine viewpoint on the Greensand ridge, with the longer version following the crest of the ridge for some distance. The extensions also include pubs that are possible tea stops, though the pub on the shorter version is currently (May 2012) undergoing refurbishment: see Lunch and Tea Places below

Points of interest

All the land on which this walk takes place was owned for almost 900 years by the Dering family: they only sold it in 1928. A particular feature of their estates are the distinctive Dering windows on all the houses. These have the appearance of eyes with brows arched in surprise, and were added during Victorian Times in reference to a legend that during a Dering baronet gave his Roundhead pursuers the slip by leaping to freedom through such a round-headed window. You can also see the Dering family crest of a black horse on the cowls of the oast houses, and in the south chapel of St Nicholas Church in Pluckley.

The writer H E Bates (1905–74) lived in Little Chart Forstal. His service in the Royal Air Force during the Second World War yielded many short stories such as Flying Officer X, but he is perhaps best known for The Darling Buds of May, a tale of rural life, which was made into the popular TV series starring David Jason and Catherine Zeta Jones. During the Second World War, doodlebugs (flying bombs) caused much damage, earning the village the nickname of 'bomb alley'. Little Chart’s medieval church was destroyed by a doodlebug and was replaced by the 1950s built St Mary the Virgin.

The TV series of The Darling Buds of May was filmed in the pretty village of Pluckley, but it has another claim to fame - as reputedly the most haunted village in the country, claiming at least 12 ghosts. In the Black Horse pub – once a moated farmhouse dating from 1470 – watch out for the discerning poltergeist who preys only on teetotallers. Take a seat by the door and you might see your orange juice swept aside by an unseen hand. Meanwhile the churchyard of nearby St Nicholas Church is allegedly haunted by a Red Lady who sobs as she searches for the unmarked grave of her stillborn baby.

Pluckley Station opened in 1842 and the timber-framed, Kentish-style clapboard building remains largely unchanged, possibly making it the oldest station in the world. When it was built, the staff would have comprised the stationmaster, two clerks, two signalmen, two porters who doubled as shunters, and a plate layer, or lengths man, who maintained the track. Not much evidence of any of them now!

Lunch and Tea

Swan Inn The Street, Little Chart, TN27 0QB (01233 840702). Located 5.8km (3.6 miles) into the walk, the Swan has a riverside garden and serves food all day daily (possibly not Monday - check.)

Black Horse The Street, Pluckley, TN27 0QS (01233 841948). Located 8.2km (5.1 miles) into the walk, this pub has cosy, old-fashioned charm and a pleasant walled garden. It is open 11.30am-11pm daily, with food served noon-3pm and 6-9pm Monday to Thursday, noon-3.30pm and 6.30-9.30pm Friday and Saturday, and noon-4pm Sunday.

St Nicholas Church , also in Pluckley, serves cream teas with home-made jam from the end of May to the end of August.

Dering Arms Station Road, Pluckley, TN27 0RR (01233 840371, . Open 11.30am-3pm, 6-11pm Mon-Sat; noon-4pm Sun. Food served noon-2pm, 6.30-9pm Mon-Sat; noon-2pm Sun. Located beside Pluckley station, this former hunting lodge is now an award-winning seafood restaurant, for which booking is necessary, but you can also have drinks in its bar are.

On the longer version of the extension, The George Inn (01233 756 304) in Egerton is a possible tea stop, but there are reports in May 2016 that this pub has closed. On both long and short versions of the extension there is the Rose and Crown (01233 840048), which has a delightful rural location admid the fields and is open all afternoon, serving food till 2.30pm and from 6pm Monday to Saturday and all afternoon till 8pm on Sundays

Picnic : Just across the road from the Swan Inn in Little Chart, there is a grassy field beside the church, which makes a good picnic spot. The churchyard at St Nicholas in Pluckley village is another good choice.


Use the online version of the walk, as the current print edition is now dated.


Help us! After the walk, we would love to get your feedback


Upload your photos to the SWC Group on Flickr, and videos to Youtube. This walk's tags are:


Out: (not a train station)

Back: (not a train station)

By Car

Start: TN27 0RT | Directions


Start walking Large print Using GPS data

National Rail: 03457 48 49 50 • Travelline SE (bus times): 0871 200 2233 (12p/min) • TFL (London) : 0343 222 1234



Copyright © Saturday Walkers Club. All Rights Reserved. No commercial use. No copying. No derivatives. Free with attribution for one time non-commercial use only.

Walk Directions  

Full directions for this walk are in a PDF file (link above) which you can print, or download on to a Kindle, tablet, or smartphone.

This is just the introduction. This walk's detailed directions are in a PDF available from

Sorry, the sketch map they refer to is only in the book.