Saturday Walkers Club www.walkingclub.org.uk

London's Parks and Green Spaces

Parks

London has many landscaped parks with immaculate lawns, formal gardens, ornametal lakes, and park cafes. From the Royal Parks, to Victorian parks, to the grounds of Historic Houses, and local parks.

And almost all are free

Group Name Size Description
Alexandra Park 80 Viewpoint

Alexandra Park is split between hilly terrain and flat ground. It is dominated by Alexandra Palace. From 1936 to 1981, the BBC transmitted TV programmes from a tall mast here. The building is now a conference/exhibition centre. The vast, tree-lined sloping hill has wide views over London. On a clear day, the Crystal Palace Transmitter on the far south-east side of London is visible. Free.

Arnos Park 18

Grassy fields with some woodland, and a viaduct carrying the Picadilly Line.

Barking Park 30

Barking Park, in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham, in east London, is a park covering just under 30 hectares to the east of Barking town centre. It lies north of Longbridge Road, and is near the boundary with Loxford. It was opened as a classic Victorian park in 1896. The park's most significant feature is a 910 metre long boating lake on the north side of the park. Other facilities include tennis and basketball courts, two bowling greens (indoor and outdoor), a children's playground, a waterpark, football pitches and a flower garden and a roller-skating park.

Barra Hall Park 11

Barra Hall Park is a formal park situated near the centre of Hayes. Its the ground of a country house now in private hands.

Battersea Park 81

Large park on the south bank of the River Thames opposite Chelsea. Has Peace Pagoda, Pump House Gallery, area for pay events, and outdoor sports facilities.

Beckenham Place Park 96

Large park which is split in 2 by a railway line. Has ancient woodland, out door sports facilities and an 18-hole public golf course. The Palladian style mansion that gave the park its name is now the golf course clubhouse and cafe.

Beddington_Park

Former deer park of a large country house (now Carew Manor School). Has a lake and St Mary's - a 14th century flint church. Entrances on Church Road, Beddington, Surrey and London Road, Wallington

Bedfont Lakes Country Park 72

Bedfont Lakes Country Park is a former gravel pit and landfill site in Hounslow (south of Heathrow) converted in to a country park with lakes, wetlands, wildflower meadows and woodland. Car parks in Bedfont Road and Clockhouse Lane. Open dawn to dusk. Free.

Belair Park 10 House gardens

Formerly the grounds of Belair House (now a restaurant). Grade II listed lodge and entrance gate. Lake. Skate board facility. Car park on on Gallery Road. Free entry.

Boston Manor Park 11

Boston Manor Park is a large public park in the London Borough of Hounslow. A combination of woodland and open space, with an area adjoining the Grand Union Canal, it was created in 1924 from part of the historic estate of the 17th-century stately home Boston Manor.

Brent Reservoir 68

The Brent Reservoir (popularly called the Welsh Harp ) is a reservoir which straddles the boundary between the London boroughs of Brent and Barnet and is owned by the Canal & River Trust. The reservoir takes its informal name from a public house called The Welsh Harp, which stood nearby until the early 1970s. It is the only Site of Special Scientific Interest in Barnet and Brent. The reservoir is fed by the Silk Stream and the River Brent, and its outflow is the River Brent. It is said to contain enough water to fill 3 million baths, and in 1994 when the reservoir was drained, more than 6,700 lb (3,000 kg) of fish were captured, 95% of which were roach. However, fishing is prohibited. The reservoir has a sailing centre, home to BTYC Sailsports, Wembley Sailing club, Seahorse Sailing Club, the Sea Cadets, and the University of London Sailing club. In 1960, it also hosted the Women's European Rowing Championships.

Brockwell Park 50

Brockwell Park is a 50.8 hectare (125.53 acres) park located between Brixton, Herne Hill and Tulse Hill, bordered by Brixton Water Lane, Norwood Road, Tulse Hill (Road), and Dulwich Road in South London. The park commands views of the skyline of the city and Central London. At the top of the hill within the park stands Brockwell Hall. The Brockwell Lido, a Grade II listed art deco building near the top of the park, is a open-air swimming pool popular with swimmers and bathers. Its attached café/restaurant is also popular. Other amenities in Brockwell Park include tennis courts, a bowling green, a BMX track and a miniature railway. The park is home to the Lambeth Country Show, which usually takes place in July. An annual fireworks display also takes place around November 5.

Broomfield House 133

Broomfield House is a building of historical interest located in Broomfield Park, Palmers Green, in the London Borough of Enfield. Built during the 16th century, it was damaged by fires in 1984 and 1994, and is currently awaiting restoration as part of the English Heritage Restoration Programme.

Burgess Park 56

Burgess Park is a public park situated in the London Borough of Southwark, in an area between Camberwell to the west, Walworth to the north, Bermondsey to the east and Peckham to the south. At 56 hectares (140 acres), it is one of the largest parks in South London. Unlike most other parks in London, Burgess Park was carved out of a highly built-up area of the city. Virtually all the land now occupied by the park was previously housing, industry and transport infrastructure. The idea for Burgess Park came out of the 1943 Abercrombie plan for open spaces in London, and the land has been gradually assembled and landscaped over the subsequent decades, first by the London County Council, then the Greater London Council, and since the mid-1980s, the London Borough of Southwark. An important stage in the construction of the park was the closure of the Grand Surrey Canal in the early 1970s, which terminated at Addington Wharf on Walworth Road. The Canal served the Surrey Commercial Docks, and the area near Camberwell was full of 19th century streets, houses and industrial buildings (including a ginger beer factory), many of which had suffered heavy bomb damage during WWII. The stretch of canal now incorporated in the Park is the site of Camberwell Wharf, which was virtually straight. Other land incorporated in the park was occupied by housing. While some of this housing was in poor condition, a lot of perfectly serviceable homes were demolished to build the park, and this has resulted in strong local feelings about the park. Named Burgess Park in 1973 (after Councillor Jessie Burgess, Camberwell's first woman Mayor), it is still not complete and contains some former roads which have been stopped up but not yet grassed over. The boundaries of Burgess Park remain a matter of dispute, and because the park has never been finished, it is regularly the subject of proposals to build housing, schools, or transport links of the sort that would never be contemplated in one of London's more traditional Victorian Parks. The park received a grant of £2 million from Boris Johnson, Mayor of London, as part of a London-wide competition, with plans to subsequently top this up to £6 million by Southwark Council, to ensure the renovation of this neglected space. There are listed buildings in the Park, remnants of the streets which once occupied the site: a lime kiln, the library, baths and wash houses and the former almshouses in Chumleigh Gardens. There are also several bridges, which once used to cross the canal. Chumleigh Gardens, near the centre of the park, is a World Garden, with plants and landscaping designed to reflect the diversity of the surrounding population of this highly cosmopolitan portion of London. There is a thriving "Friends of Burgess Park". The park also plays host every August to the Carnaval Del Pueblo, Europe's largest celebration of Latin American culture. Burgess Park is one of 11 parks throughout Greater London chosen to receive money for redevelopment by a public vote. Burgess Park received £2m towards better footpaths, more lighting, refurbished public toilets and new play areas for children.

Royal Park Bushy Park 445 Royal park

Bushy Park is the second largest of London's Royal Parks, at 445 hectares (1,100 acres) in area. It is adjacent to Hampton Court Palace (which has a formal garden with pay entry) and Hampton Court Park (aka Home Park), although separated by a busy road. The parks are located just west of Kingston in south west London. They are both deer parks with flat grassland. Bushy Park has bracken in summer in (it dies down in winter) and a few areas of enclosed woodland. South of Hampton Court Palace is the river Thames and the Thames Path.

To link between the parks, exit Bushy park via the Hampton Court Gate, cross the road, turn left, and go through a gate in the Park's wall. This avoids the Palace Garden which has an entrance fee.

Cannizaro Park

Cannizaro Park is a public park in Wimbledon in the London Borough of Merton. It is located to the south of Wimbledon Common and is known for its ornamental landscaped gardens with ponds and sculpture.

Carlisle Park 54

Carlisle Park, Carlisle Road, is a multi-use recreational area in Hampton, London, in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames of bowling club, seven tennis courts, two separate playgrounds (one for very young children, one for other children), a cricket pavilion with a large field where local cricket teams Hampton Hill CC and Woodlawn CC play. It is about 600m north-east from Hampton railway station. The park covers an area of 22 acres (0.1 km 2 ). Opening times vary; in the winter the park closes at around 16:00, whereas in the summer it can be as late as 21:00; notices are posted on the park gates.

Carshalton Park 9

Carshalton Park ( 51°21.6954′N 0°9.6636′W  /  51.3615900°N 0.1610600°W  / 51.3615900; -0.1610600 ) is a public park in Carshalton, in the London Borough of Sutton. It is situated south of the High Street, in the area bounded by Ruskin Road, Ashcombe Road, Woodstock Road and The Park. Carshalton Park and some of the surrounding houses, are within a conservation area.

Charlton Park, Greenwich

For other places called Charlton Park, see Charlton Park (disambiguation). Charlton Park is a public park in Charlton, in south-east London, in the Royal Borough of Greenwich. It is situated east of Charlton village and Charlton House, and south of Charlton Park Road (the B210, linking Woolwich and Blackheath ). The park has a floodlit all-weather sports pitch, and several grass pitches for football and rugby. It also features an 'adiZone' outdoor gym (provided by Adidas to host boroughs of the 2012 Summer Olympics ), and a playground with integrated access for wheelchair users. A Japanese-style herb garden and a pond garden have also been provided for visitors with visual or physical disabilities. South-east of Charlton House are two walled gardens, one of which was opened in July 2006 as a Peace Garden, in conjunction with Amnesty International. The adjacent Charlton Park Academy (a special school for students aged 11–19, with low incidence special educational needs) takes its name from the Park.

Chelsea Physic Garden 9 Botanic garden Entrance fee

The Chelsea Physic Garden was established as the Apothecaries’ Garden in London, England, in 1673. (The word "Physic" here refers to the science of healing.) This physic garden is the second oldest botanical garden in Britain, after the University of Oxford Botanic Garden, which was founded in 1621. Its rock garden is the oldest English garden devoted to alpine plants. The largest fruiting olive tree in Britain is there, protected by the garden’s heat-trapping high brick walls, along with what is doubtless the world’s northernmost grapefruit growing outdoors. Jealously guarded during the tenure of the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries, in 1983 the Garden became a registered charity and was opened to the general public for the first time. The garden is a member of the London Museums of Health & Medicine.

Chinbrook Meadows 19

Chinbrook Meadows sometimes Chinbrook Meadow in southeast London, England is one of Lewisham's public open spaces or parks in the south of Chinbrook and Grove Park in the London Borough of Lewisham and SE12postcode district but next to the border with the London Borough of Bromley and the BR1postcode district. The majority of the park is maintained short grass with footpaths and lined with tall trees and bisected by the River Quaggy ; the grass often has markings for football pitches, a cricket ground and other sports and is used by local schools for sports days. Chinbrook Meadows also contains public toilets, public concrete tennis courts, and football pitch/basketball court in one, plus a children's play area with a paddling pool. The many footpaths crossing the park form part of The Green Chain Walk and Capital Ring. The Quaggy River flows northward through Chinbrook Meadows. The park is around half a mile long north to south, half as wide and is surrounded by Chinbrook Road to the north, Mayeswood Road to the east and the railway line to the south and west. Under the railway line there is a pedestrian subway tunnel that crosses the borough boundary into Bromley and links the park to a much smaller green area southwest of the main park; Although there is no gate separating the two, the smaller area, being under the authority of another borough, is sometimes not considered part of the same park, the map on the website does not show it, but shows the park entrance to be the pedestrian subway. The footpath that leaves the southeast corner of Chinbrook Meadows is part of the Green Chain Walk passes the allotments then Grove Park Cemetery before entering Elmstead Wood. Gates to the park are opened at 08:00 every morning and closed near dusk, with times ranging from 16:30 to 21:00 in the evening depending on the time of year.

Chiswick House 26 House gardens

Chiswick House is a Palladian villa in Burlington Lane, Chiswick. Arguably the finest remaining example of Neo-Palladian architecture in London, the house was designed by Lord Burlington, and completed in 1729. The house and gardens, which occupy 26.33 hectares (65.1 acres), mainly created by architect and landscape designer William Kent, is one of the earliest examples of the English landscape garden. After the death of its builder and original occupant in 1753 and the subsequent deaths of his last surviving daughter, Charlotte Boyle, in 1754 and his widow in 1758, the property was ceded to William Cavendish, 4th Duke of Devonshire, the husband of Charlotte. After William's death in 1764, the villa passed to his and Charlotte's orphaned young son, William, the 5th Duke of Devonshire. His wife, Georgiana Spencer, a prominent and controversial figure in fashion and politics whom he married in 1774, used the house as a retreat and as a Whig stronghold for many years; it was the place of death of Charles James Fox in 1806. Tory Prime Minister George Canning also died there, in 1827 (in a bedroom in the John White wing buildings). During the 19th century the house fell into decline, and was rented out by the Cavendish family. It was used as a hospital from 1892. In 1929, the 9th Duke of Devonshire sold Chiswick House to Middlesex County Council, and it became a fire station. The villa suffered damage during World War II, and in 1944 a V-2 rocket damaged one of the two wings. The wings were demolished in 1956. Today the house is a Grade I listed building, and is maintained by English Heritage.

Clissold Park 22

Clissold Park is a designated community park set in (22.57 hectares (55.8 acres)) at Stoke Newington, within the London Borough of Hackney. Its facilities include children's playgrounds, sports fields, a bowling green, tennis courts, the café and some other attractions including terrapins in its lakes, as well as deer, quail, and rabbits. The park also comprises remains of the New River, and the Capital Ring has some of its paths running through a small section of the park.

Coram's Fields

Coram's Fields is a large urban open space in the London borough of Camden in central London. It occupies seven acres in Bloomsbury and includes a children's playground, sand pits, a duck pond, a pets corner, café and nursery. Adults (defined as anyone over the age of 16) are only permitted to enter if accompanied by children (under 16). It is situated on the former site of the Foundling Hospital, established by Thomas Coram in what was then named Lamb's Conduit Field in 1739. The Foundling Hospital was relocated outside London in the 1920s, and the site was earmarked for redevelopment. However, campaigning and fundraising by local residents and a donation from the Harmsworth family of newspaper proprietors, led to the creation of the current park that opened in 1936. Coram's Fields is a Grade II listed site and is owned and run by an independent registered charity, officially named Coram's Fields and the Harmsworth Memorial Playground. Coram's Fields also offers three eight-a-side football pitches, two tennis courts, a stickball field and a basketball court. The Thomas Coram Foundation for Children (the successor charity to the Foundling Hospital) and the Foundling Museum housing the art collections of the former Hospital, are based in buildings nearby. To the west is Brunswick Square, and to the east is Mecklenburgh Square (bordered by Goodenough College to the south), two historical London squares. To the north is the Thomas Coram Foundation and St George's Gardens. To the south are Guilford Street and Great Ormond Street Hospital.

Cranford Park

Cranford Countryside Park is a 144-acre public park in Cranford, in the London Borough of Hillingdon, England. Situated in close proximity to Heathrow Airport, it is bordered by the M4 Motorway to the north, and by the towns of Harlington and Cranford to the South West and South East respectively. Although its namesake Cranford is within the London Borough of Hounslow, the park itself is geographically in fact part of the London Borough of Hillingdon, as it straddles the southernmost point of this borough. Despite this, the park is managed under Hounslow's council authority. Although the park is in an urban location, it is vehicle-accessible only by a small road before a motorway entrance slip, and as such it has been described as a 'hidden gem'. The park features in the London Parks & Gardens Trust’s ‘Inventory of Historic Green Spaces’ and is centrally positioned among the Crane Valley’s parkland chain. It is fully open to the public from 07:30-21:00 during the summer months, and closes instead at dusk during the autumn, winter and spring. Facilities include an information centre, toilets, a car park, a children's playground and a bridle route. Situated roughly 1 mile south of Hayes & Harlington railway station and one mile north-west of Hounslow West tube station, Cranford Park is accessible by rail; however London Bus routes 81, 105, 111, 195, 222, H98, H28, and E6 serve passengers closer to the park's location.

Crystal Palace Park 80

Crystal Palace Park is a Victorian pleasure ground, used for cultural and sporting events. It is located in the south-east London suburb of Crystal Palace, which was in turn named after The Crystal Palace which had been moved from Hyde Park, London after the 1851 Great Exhibition and rebuilt with some modifications and enlargements to form the centrepiece of the pleasure ground, before being destroyed by fire in 1936. The park features full scale models of dinosaurs in a landscape, a maze, lakes and a concert bowl. This site contains the National Sports Centre which includes an athletic stadium. The athletics stadium in the park once housed a football ground, which hosted the FA Cup final from 1895 to 1914 as well as London County Cricket Club games from 1900 to 1908, when they folded, and Crystal Palace F.C. 's matches from their formation in 1905 until the club was forced to relocate during the First World War. The park is situated halfway along the Norwood Ridge at one of its highest points. This ridge offers views northward to central London, east to the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge and Greenwich, and southward to Croydon and the North Downs. The park remains a major London public park. The park was maintained by the LCC and later the GLC, but with the abolition of the GLC in 1986 control of the park was given to the London Borough of Bromley, so the park is now entirely within the London Borough of Bromley.

Danson Park 78 House gardens

Danson Park is the name of a park located between Welling and Bexleyheath in the London Borough of Bexley, Southeast London, and the name of the electoral ward that covers the park and the surrounding area. At 78 hectares, it is the largest public park in the London Borough of Bexley and one of the most important in the area. The landscape was designed and laid out by Nathaniel Richmond, assistant to Capability Brown from 1761 to 1763. At its centre is a picturesque 7.8 hectare lake to the south of Danson House. The Danson Stables public house is also located in the park. The Boathouse (function suite and restaurant) is near the lake. The park is located at grid reference TQ472752. Rochester Way, the A2 road marks the southern boundary of both the park and the ward. Once a year, for two days the park plays host to the Danson Festival a large scale event which can attract up to 30,000 visitors to the park. The festival includes many stalls such as arts, crafts, charities and others. There is also a fun fair with various rides. The festival usually runs on the first weekend of July each year. The main focal point of the festival is the main stage on which various local artists perform, in addition to some big names. Past festivals have seen the likes of The AllStars with Jocelyn Brown, Alexander O'Neal, X-factor's Rowetta, and Peter Andre and Katie Price. The festival is run by Bexley Council. A free 5k run, one of the nationwide parkrun events is organised every Saturday morning at 9.00 am using a 2 lap scenic course around Lake Danson. The one hectare Danson Park Bog Garden is a Local Nature Reserve.

Dulwich Park

Dulwich Park is a 30.85-hectare (76.2-acre) park in Dulwich in the London Borough of Southwark, south London, England. The park was created by the Metropolitan Board of Works from former farmland and meadows. While the initial design was by Charles Barry (junior), it was later refined by Lt Col J. J. Sexby (who also designed Battersea and parts of Southwark Parks). It was opened in 1890 by Lord Rosebery. In 2004–6, the park was restored to its original Victorian layout, following a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Dulwich Park contains a café, boating lake and numerous sporting facilities. Various types of recumbent bicycles are available for hire. Cars have not been permitted to drive inside the park since 2003, with the exception of disabled badge holders, but there is a free car park at the College Road entrance. It is home of Dulwich Park Runners, a minor running club. On 20 December 2011, a sculpture by Barbara Hepworth, Two Forms (Divided Circle) that resides in the park, was cut from its plinth and stolen by suspected scrap metal thieves.

Duppas Hill

Duppas Hill is a park, road and surrounding residential area in Waddon, near Croydon in Greater London (and historically in Surrey ). Duppas Hill has a long history of sport and recreation. It is said that jousting took place there in medieval times and the story goes that Lord William de Warenne was treacherously slain there during a joust in 1286.

Ealing Common 116

Ealing Common is a large open space (approx 47 acres) in Ealing, west London. Piccadilly & district line trains stop at nearby Ealing Common station.

East Sheen Common 185

East Sheen Common, also known as Sheen Common, is an area of public open space in East Sheen in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. It is adjacent to Richmond Park and separated from it by a brick wall which forms the park's boundary. A gate, Bog Gate, provides pedestrian access between the park and the common. Since 1908, East Sheen Common has been owned by The National Trust. It is currently leased to Richmond upon Thames Borough Council. East Sheen Common covers 75 acres (30 ha ), consisting of woodland, a cricket field, tennis courts and a bowling green, and is a surviving part of the much greater area of common land that existed in the local area before Richmond Park was created. Sheen Park Cricket Club [1] play matches on East Sheen Common's cricket field, which is also a venue for Ibstock Place School cricket matches.

Eastbrookend Country Park 84

Eastbrookend Country Park is an 84 hectare park and Local Nature Reserve in Dagenham in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. Together with the neighbouring Chase Nature Reserve it is also designated a Site of Metropolitan Importance for Nature Conservation. The site was formerly derelict land, which was turned into a park by large scale earth moving to create an undulating landscape with wild flower grassland mixes and over 50,000 small trees. It was opened in 1995. Facilities include a millennium centre and a fishing lake. it has a mixture of grazed wetland and dry habitats next to the River Rom. Dagenham Road goes through the park.

Oxleas Wood 72

(Redirected from Eltham Common ) Oxleas Wood is one of the few remaining areas of ancient deciduous forest in the Royal Borough of Greenwich (with a small amount passing over the boundary into the London Borough of Bexley ), in southeast London. Some parts date back over 8,000 years to the end of the last Ice Age, the Younger Dryas. It is part of a larger continuous area of woodland and parkland on the south side of Shooter's Hill : other parts are Jack Wood, Castle Wood, Oxleas Meadows, Falconwood Field, Eltham Common and Eltham Park North (the latter being divided by the A2 main road from its southern section). Eltham Park North includes the ancient Shepherdleas Wood.

Enfield Town Park 9

Enfield Town Park is a 9.5 hectare park in the Enfield Town area of the London Borough of Enfield, first opened in 1902. The New River passes through it.

Fairlop Waters Country Park 136

2 lakes and a golf course

Finsbury Park

Overview [ edit ] The park provides a large green space in central north London. It has a mix of open ground, formal gardens, avenues of mature trees and an arboretum area with a mix of more unusual trees. There is also a lake, a children's play area, a cafe and an art exhibition space. The Parkland Walk, a linear park, starts here, and provides a pleasant, traffic free, pedestrian and cycle route with much of the feel of a country walk, that links the park with Crouch Hill Park, Crouch End, and Highgate tube station. Sports facilities in the park include football pitches, a bowling green, an athletics stadium, and tennis and basketball courts. Unusually for London, the park hosts two facilities for "American" sports: an American football field, home to the 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011 national champions London Blitz, and diamonds for softball and baseball, home to the 2007 and 2008 national champions the London Mets. In recent years the park has been used for large public events such as Madstock!, the Fleadh, Big Gay Out, Party in the Park and Rise: London United. A £5 million Heritage Lottery Fund Award, made in 2003, enabled significant renovations including cleaning the lake, building a new cafe and children's playground and resurfacing and repairing the tennis courts. As a result of spending cuts following the 2008 economic crisis, a management plan for the park was published to cover the 2013 - 2016 period. London districts (large neighbourhoods) bordering the park are: Finsbury Park Harringay Stroud Green Manor House. Electorally it is the Harringay ward.

Foots Cray Meadows 97

. Foots Cray Meadows is an area of parkland and woodland (97 hectares or nearly 250 acres in all) in the London Borough of Bexley, England. It borders the suburbs of Albany Park, Sidcup, Foots Cray, and North Cray. The River Cray runs through it in a north-easterly direction. The London Loop, a public recreational walking path around London, also known as the "M25 for walkers", runs through the meadows parallel to the river from Sidcup Place, just south of the meadows. A notable feature of the area is the Five Arches bridge, which crosses the River Cray, as does the smaller Penny Farthing Bridge. The Meadows are a Local Nature Reserve and a Site of Metropolitan Importance for Nature Conservation. They have also have received a Green Flag Award. There is access from Rectory Lane, among other places. Adjacent to the meadows is an area known locally as the "wasteland" and the ruins of a destroyed boules alley.

Forster Memorial Park 17

Forster Memorial Park, is a public park in London Borough of Lewisham. It is located between Bellingham Road and Whitefoot Lane, Catford – an area still referred to as Southend or Southend Village. The nearest stations are Bellingham and Beckenham Hill.

Gladstone Park 35

Gladstone Park is situated in the Dollis Hill area of north-west London. It is about 35 hectares (86 acres) in area Dollis Hill House was an early 19th century farmhouse, located within the northern boundary of the park.

Goddington 64

Goddington is an area of Orpington in the London Borough of Bromley. Goddington Park, 64 hectares of grass and trees, has five football pitches, two cricket squares, and two rugby pitches. It includes an astro-turf football court and about 10 tennis courts. There are two children's play areas, for younger and older children. The main entrance is from Goddington Lane, with footpaths from Avalon Road, Court Road and Chelsfield Lane and a further entrance from Berrylands. Orpington Football Club, Orpington Cricket Club and Orpington Lawn Tennis Club play here. It is also the home of Westcombe Park Rugby Club. St Olave's Grammar School is in Goddington Lane.

Royal Park Green Park 19 Royal park

Green Park is a park in the City of Westminster, central London. One of the Royal Parks of London, it covers 19 hectares (47 acres) between Hyde Park and St. James's Park. Together with Kensington Gardens and the gardens of Buckingham Palace, these parks form an almost unbroken stretch of open land reaching from Whitehall and Victoria station to Kensington and Notting Hill. By contrast with its neighbouring parks, Green Park has no lakes, no buildings and few monuments, having only the Canada Memorial by Pierre Granche, the Diana Fountain and the RAF Bomber Command Memorial. Instead the park consists almost entirely of mature trees rising out of turf; the only flowers are naturalized narcissus. The park is bounded on the south by Constitution Hill, on the east by the pedestrian Queen's Walk, and on the north by Piccadilly. It meets St. James's Park at Queen's Gardens with the Victoria Memorial at its centre, opposite the entrance to Buckingham Palace. To the south is the ceremonial avenue of the Mall, and the buildings of St James's Palace and Clarence House overlook the park to the east. Green Park tube station is a major interchange located on Piccadilly, Victoria and Jubilee lines near the north end of Queen's Walk. Tyburn stream runs beneath Green Park.

Royal Park Greenwich Park 74 Royal park Viewpoint

Greenwich Park is a former hunting park in Greenwich and one of the largest single green spaces in south-east London. One of the Royal Parks of London, and the first to be enclosed (in 1433), it covers 74 hectares (180 acres), and is part of the Greenwich World Heritage Site. It commands fine views over the River Thames, the Isle of Dogs and the City of London. The park is open from 06:00 for pedestrians (and 07:00 for traffic) all year round and closes at dusk.

Grove Park (Sutton) House gardens

The Grove Park, or The Grove is a public park in Carshalton in the London Borough of Sutton. It is situated close to Carshalton Village in the area approximately bounded by the High Street, North Street and Mill Lane. The southwest corner of the park abuts one of Carshalton's ponds ( Lower Pond ) from where water flows through the park as the river Wandle.

Grovelands Park House gardens

Grovelands Park is a public park in Southgate and Winchmore Hill, London, that originated as a private estate. It is designated as Grade II* Listed, and is included in English Heritage 's "at risk" register.

Gunnersbury Park 30 House gardens

Gunnersbury Park is a park in Brentford, West London, England. Purchased for the nation from the Rothschild family, it was opened to the public by Neville Chamberlain, then Minister of Health, on 21 May 1926. The park is currently jointly managed by Ealing and Hounslow borough councils.

Hall Place 65

Hall Place is a former stately home, today a Grade I listed building and Scheduled Ancient Monument, beside the River Cray on the outskirts of Crayford, south-east of Bexleyheath and north-east of Old Bexley. It is in the London Borough of Bexley in south-east London. It is situated just off the A223, Bourne Road, south of Watling Street (A207) and north of the 'Black Prince' interchange of the A2 Rochester Way with the A220.

Hammersmith Park

Hammersmith Park is a public park in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham. It includes a Japanese Garden, a gated children's play area, a bowling green, and tennis courts. Despite its name, it is located in Shepherd's Bush, not Hammersmith. In 2013 planning permission was granted by the Borough to redevelop the sports facilities in a controversial scheme to be run by the privately owned operation Play Football.

Hampton Court Palace Entrance fee Formal garden Royal palace

Hampton Court Palace is a royal palace in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, Greater London, in the historic county of Middlesex, and within the postal town East Molesey, Surrey. It has not been inhabited by the British Royal Family since the 18th century. The palace is 11.7 miles (18.8 kilometres) south west of Charing Cross and upstream of central London on the River Thames. It was originally built in 1514 for Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, a favourite of King Henry VIII. In 1529, as Wolsey fell from favour, the King seized the palace for himself and later enlarged it. Along with St. James's Palace, it is one of only two surviving palaces out of the many owned by King Henry VIII. In the following century, King William III 's massive rebuilding and expansion project was intended to rival Versailles. Work ceased in 1694, leaving the palace in two distinct contrasting architectural styles, domestic Tudor and Baroque. While the palace's styles are an accident of fate, a unity exists due to the use of pink bricks and a symmetrical, if vague, balancing of successive low wings. Today, the palace is open to the public and is a major tourist attraction, easily reached by train from Waterloo Station in central London and served by Hampton Court railway station in East Molesey, in Transport for London 's Zone 6. In addition, London Buses routes 111, 216, 411 and R68 stop outside the palace gates. The structure and grounds are cared for by an independent charity, Historic Royal Palaces, which receives no funding from the Government or the Crown. Apart from the Palace itself and its gardens, other points of interest for visitors include the celebrated maze, the historic real tennis court (see below), and the huge grape vine, claimed to be the largest in the world. The palace's Home Park is the site of the annual Hampton Court Palace Festival and Hampton Court Palace Flower Show.

Hampton Court Park 88 House gardens

Hampton Court Park – sometimes called the Home Park – is adjacent to Hampton Court Palace and Gardens in South London, United Kingdom, mostly lying within East Molesey, with a smaller area in Kingston upon Thames. Hampton Court Park is a royal park, but not one of the eight Royal Parks of London because it is the site of a Palace. It is managed by the Historic Royal Palaces. In September 2014 part of it was designated a biological Site of Special Scientific Interest together with Bushy Park and Hampton Court Golf Course as Bushy Park and Home Park SSSI. It is a walled deer park of around 700 acres (280 ha) in area and has been open to the public since 1894. The A308 road and the River Thames form its boundaries. North of the A308 is the better-known Bushy Park. The Royal Mews still graze some of their horses on the park during the summer months. One of the main features of the park is the Long Water which runs roughly eastward from the back of Hampton Court Palace. At the eastern end is the Golden Jubilee Fountain.

Havering Country Park 247

Havering Country Park is a varied environment open space in the London Borough of Havering. It includes 100 acres (0.40 km 2 ) of woodland. It is one of three large parklands in Havering-atte-Bower, the others are Bedfords Park and Pyrgo Park. The area of the park was formerly part of the estate of Havering Palace. The land was purchased by the Greater London Council and opened to the public in 1975, with ownership transferring to Havering Council in 1986.

Hayes Common 2

Hayes Common is a 79- Hectare area of public open land in Hayes in the London Borough of Bromley. It is owned and managed by Bromley Council. It is Site of Metropolitan Importance for Nature Conservation, and a small area is part of the Keston and Hayes Commons Site of Special Scientific Interest. The common is an area of woodland and heath, crossed by bridleways and footpaths. Hayes Common is one of the largest areas of common land in Greater London, with 91.1 hectares (225 acres) of protected commons.

High Elms Country Park 69

High Elms Country Park is an extensive 250-acre (100 ha) public park on the North Downs in Farnborough in the London Borough of Bromley. It is a Local Nature Reserve, and together with the neighbouring Downe Bank, a Site of Special Scientific Interest. The park surrounds High Elms Golf Course, and has extensive woodland, chiefly oak and beech, chalk meadows and formal gardens. It also has a cafe, a visitor centre, nature and history trails and car parks. The rangers of the Bromley Countryside Service, who manage borough owned parks, are based at the park. There is access from High Elms Road and Shire Lane.

Highbury Fields 11

Highbury Fields is an open space in Highbury, in the London Borough of Islington. At 11.75 hectares (29 acres), it is the largest open space in the borough. It extends north from Highbury Corner almost as far as Highbury Barn. Besides parkland, Highbury Fields contains recreational facilities including tennis courts and Highbury Pool, which reopened after refurbishment in January 2007.

Hillingdon Court 7870 House gardens

Hillingdon Court is a Grade II listed mansion in Hillingdon, within the London Borough of Hillingdon. Originally built in 1858 as the family home of the Mills family, the mansion has formed part of the ACS Hillingdon International School since 1978. Much of the remaining grounds came under public ownership in 1928 and have become public parkland and housing.

Holland Park 22 Cafe

Holland Park is one of the most romantic and peaceful parks of West London. The northern half or so of the park is semi-wild woodland. The central section around the ruins of Holland House is more formal with several garden areas, and the southernmost section is used for sport. The remains of the house form a backdrop for the open air Holland Park Theatre. The Commonwealth Institute lies to the south. The park contains an orangery, a giant chess set, a cricket pitch, tennis courts, a Japanese garden, a youth hostel, a children's playgrounds, squirrels and peacocks.

Horn Park

Horn Park is an area of South East London, within the Royal Borough of Greenwich. It borders the London Borough of Lewisham. It is located south west of Eltham.

Hounslow Heath 82

Hounslow Heath is a public open space and local nature reserve in the London Borough of Hounslow. It now covers about 200 acres (80 ha), what is left of the historic Hounslow Heath that covered over 4,000 acres (1,600 ha).

Royal Park Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens Cafe Lido Royal park

Hyde Park is one of the largest parks in London, and one of the Royal Parks of London, famous for its Speakers' Corner. The park was the site of the Great Exhibition of 1851, for which the Crystal Palace was designed by Joseph Paxton. The park has become a traditional location for mass demonstrations. The Chartists, the Reform League, the Suffragettes, and the Stop the War Coalition have all held protests in the park. Many protesters on the Liberty and Livelihood March in 2002 started their march from Hyde Park. On 20 July 1982 in the Hyde Park and Regents Park bombings, two bombs linked to the Provisional Irish Republican Army caused the death of eight members of the Household Cavalry and the Royal Green Jackets and seven horses. The park is divided in two by the Serpentine and the Long Water. The park is contiguous with Kensington Gardens ; although often still assumed to be part of Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens has been technically separate since 1728, when Queen Caroline made a division between the two. Hyde Park covers 142 hectares (350 acres) and Kensington Gardens covers 111 hectares (275 acres), giving an overall area of 253 hectares (625 acres), making the combined area larger than the Principality of Monaco (196 hectares or 480 acres), though smaller than the Bois de Boulogne in Paris (845 hectares, or 2090 acres), New York City 's Central Park (341 hectares or 840 acres), and Dublin's Phoenix Park (707 hectares, or 1,750 acres). To the southeast, outside the park, is Hyde Park Corner. Although, during daylight, the two parks merge seamlessly into each other, Kensington Gardens closes at dusk but Hyde Park remains open throughout the year from 5 a.m. until midnight. Hyde Park is the largest of four parks which form a chain from the entrance of Kensington Palace through Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park, via Hyde Park Corner and Green Park (19 hectares), past the main entrance to Buckingham Palace and then on through Saint James's Park (23 hectares) to Horse Guards Parade in Whitehall.

Kensington Gardens, once the private gardens of Kensington Palace, are one of the Royal Parks of London, lying immediately to the west of Hyde Park. It is shared between the City of Westminster and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, lying within western central London. The park covers an area of 111 hectares (270 acres). The open spaces of Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park, Green Park and St. James's Park together form an almost continuous "green lung" in the heart of London between Kensington and Westminster.

Kennington Park

Kennington Park is a public park in Kennington, London and lies between Kennington Park Road and St Agnes Place. It was opened in 1854 on the site of what had been Kennington Common, where the Chartists gathered for their biggest "monster rally" on 10 April 1848. Soon after this demonstration the common was enclosed and, sponsored by the royals, made into a public park. Kennington Common was a site of public executions until 1800 as well as being an area for public speaking. Some of the most illustrious orators to speak here were Methodist founders George Whitefield and John Wesley who is reputed to have attracted a crowd of 30,000. The common was one of the earliest London cricket venues and is known to have been used for major cricket matches in 1724. Kennington Park hosts the first inner London community cricket ground, sponsored by Surrey County Cricket Club whose home, The Oval, is close to the park. In the 1970s, the old tradition of mass gatherings returned to the park which was host to the start of many significant marches to Parliament. Today, this tendency is opposed by a few locals who prefer the model of the Victorian Park. The Friends of Kennington Park, FoKP, provides a local forum for this struggle.

Kenwood House House gardens

Kenwood House is a former stately home, in Hampstead, London, on the northern boundary of Hampstead Heath. It is managed by English Heritage, and normally open to the public. The house is best known for the artwork it houses.

Keston Common 24

Keston Common is a 55 hectare area of public open space in Keston in the London Borough of Bromley. Most of it is heathland and dry acid grassland on the Blackheath Pebble Beds. Almost all the common together with a small part of the neighbouring Hayes Common is a biological Site of Special Scientific Interest.

Kew Gardens 121 Botanic gardens Entrance fee Formal gardens

Kew Gardens is the world's largest collection of living plants. Founded in 1840 from the exotic garden at Kew Park in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, UK, its living collections include more than 30,000 different kinds of plants, while the herbarium, which is one of the largest in the world, has over seven million preserved plant specimens. The library contains more than 750,000 volumes, and the illustrations collection contains more than 175,000 prints and drawings of plants. It is one of London's top tourist attractions. In 2003, the gardens were put on the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites. Kew Gardens, together with the botanic gardens at Wakehurst Place in Sussex, are managed by the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew (brand name Kew ), an internationally important botanical research and education institution that employs 750 staff, and is a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. The Kew site, which has been dated as formally starting in 1759, though can be traced back to the exotic garden at Kew Park, formed by Lord Capel John of Tewkesbury, consists of 121 hectares (300 acres) of gardens and botanical glasshouses, four Grade I listed buildings and 36 Grade II listed structures, all set in an internationally significant landscape. Kew Gardens has its own police force, Kew Constabulary, which has been in operation since 1847.

King George's Park

King George's Park is a park in Wandsworth, South London.

Langtons House gardens

Langtons House and Langtons Gardens are a grade II listed 18th-century house and landscaped gardens located in Hornchurch, in the London Borough of Havering, Greater London. The house is used as a registery office.

Hanworth Park (London Air Park)

London Air Park, also known as Hanworth Air Park, was a grass airfield in the grounds of Hanworth Park House, operational 1917-1919 and 1929-1947. It was on the southeastern edge of Feltham, now part of the London Borough of Hounslow. In the 1930s, it was best known as a centre for private flying, society events, visits by the Graf Zeppelin airship, and for aircraft manufacture by General Aircraft Limited (GAL) 1934-1949.

Marble Hill Park 163 House gardens

Marble Hill Park is an area of 66 acres (270,000 m 2 ) of parkland in Twickenham, in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. It is an English Heritage site that surrounds Marble Hill House, a Palladian villa that was originally built for Henrietta Howard, the mistress of King George II in 1724–29. From 2004 to 2006 the park was a venue for open-air music events organised by the Jazz Cafe.

Mayesbrook Park 43

Mayesbrook Park is a 43 hectare public park in Dagenham in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. It is owned and managed by the borough council. The southern end, which is mainly a large lake, is a Local Nature Reserve. The area covered by the park was once part of the historic Manor of Jenkins, seat of the Fanshawe family. The park, which was opened in 1934, was created to meet the need for open space for the London County Council 's Becontree Housing Estate. The park has a car park, a children's play area, football pitches, a cricket pitch and pavilion, an athletic track, tennis courts, basketball court, and lakes. The Mayesbrook Park project has used green infrastructure engineering to address flood water management needs. The southern end has two large lakes which are rich in wildlife, newly planted woodland and rough grassland. The Mayes Brook runs along the western edge. There is access from Lodge Avenue. Coordinates : 51°32′25″N 0°06′40″E  /  51.5403°N 0.1111°E  / 51.5403; 0.1111

Mayow Park 7

Mayow Park, formerly known as Sydenham Recreation Ground, is a municipal park in London Borough of Lewisham. Located on Mayow Road in Sydenham, south east London, it is the borough's oldest park and the second oldest public open space after Blackheath. The park has a Green Flag Award.

Mile End Park 32

Mile End Park is a park located in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It is a linear park of some 32 hectares (79 acres), and was created on industrial land devastated by World War II bombing. It lies on land to the east of the Regent's Canal and in the north, is separated from the southern edge of Victoria Park by the Hertford Union Canal. A plan existed from the end of the war to create the park, but extensive development did not begin until the end of the millennium. A pedestrian bridge, opened in July 1999, was built over the Mile End Road, which bisects the park, near Mile End tube station. The bridge was designed by Piers Gough. Prior to the park's construction, 193 Grove Road - at the edge of the park - was transformed by sculptor Rachel Whiteread into a cast of its interior. This work won her the Turner Prize in 1993. In 1381, 60,000 Men of Essex camped here and met Richard II at Mile End, on 14 June 1381, during the Peasants' Revolt. The park now consists of a number of elements (running north-south): The Play Arena - for children, The Ecology Park - including a lake, an ecology building, wind turbine and climbing wall, The Arts Park, The Green Bridge, The Terraced Garden, The South Park, Adventure Park, Sports Park - including the Mile End stadium, Kirk's Place and The Children's Park. Nearby are an extreme sports centre and an electric Go kart track. The Ragged School Museum opened in 1990 in three canal side former warehouses in Copperfield Road. It faces the western edge of the park south of Mile End Road. The buildings previously housed Dr Barnado 's Copperfield Road Ragged School. The park has been awarded the London First Award, the Green bridge the Institution of Civil Engineers Award of Merit, a commendation at the British Construction Industry Awards and a special commendation from the Prime Minister's Award.

Morden Hall Park 51 House gardens National trust

Morden Hall Park is a National Trust park located on the banks of the River Wandle in Morden, south London. It covers over 50ha (125 acres) of parkland with the River Wandle meandering through it spanned by numerous foot bridges. The estate contains Morden Hall itself, Morden Cottage, an old Snuff Mill, and many old farm buildings, some of which are now a garden centre and a city farm. The rose garden has over 2000 roses.

Morden Park House gardens

Morden Park is an area within the district of Morden in the London Borough of Merton, and includes the Park itself, an area of green space in an otherwise dense cluster of 1930s suburban housing. The present park and sports fields between Hillcross Avenue, London Road/Epsom Road and Lower Morden Lane are owned and managed by the London Borough of Merton parks department and cover land that previously formed the grounds of Morden Park House, a small 18th-century country estate (not to be confused with Morden Hall Park, the National Trust property close to Morden town centre). The estate comprised enclosed parkland, a small Georgian country house built at the top of the hill in the 1770s for merchant and distiller John Ewart with attached landscaped gardens and a farm called Morden Park Farm. By the mid-1780s the estate was in the possession of the Polhill family. One member of the family, Edward Polhill, bequeathed £1,000 in 1826 to the parish church for the benefit of the Sunday school. Between the 1880s and the 1910s the estate was occupied by banker John Wormald. At the bottom of the hill in the direction of Lower Morden runs a small brook. In the park, surrounded by trees, is a large circular mound. This has been identified as a possible burial mound from the Iron Age, Roman or Saxon periods. Archaeological investigations were carried out in the 1950s although no conclusive proof as to its date or purpose were found.English Heritage believes that the earthwork was remodelled at some time into a belvedere, or viewing platform, with a spiral path to ascend it. Between 1960 and the mid-1990s a cycle speedway track sat alongside the mound, which was home to Morden Cycle Speedway Club. The track has since been demolished but it's still possible to find signs of the track's existence. A local Aero Modelling Club used the area South of the Mound on Sunday Mornings for flying practice. Morden Park House remains and, after many years of neglect and semi-dereliction, has recently been restored and is now the local register office and a venue for wedding ceremonies. The entrance to the Park, from London Road is now dominated by South Thames College, Merton Campus. This was built on the site of a Pig Farm which was destroyed by fire at some point in the late 40's or early 50's. The derelict sties remained in place for some years until the early 60's when clearing began for the College. During this period many bones could be found amongst the rubble; these have been assumed by archaeologists to be those of pigs. Children from the Council Estate opposite the entrance at Hatfield Mead used this area as an adventure playground for many years. At this period a Gatehouse (occupied until its demolition in the 60's) was prominent at the entry. Facilities in Morden Park include a pitch and putt golf course and Morden Park Swimming Pool which was opened in the late 1967 on the site of the old house's gardens. South Thames College is adjacent to the park and occupies the former site of the farm. Morden Park also hosts the annual Morden Park Holiday Club event for children to attend for a week during their summer holidays from school. This event is organised by the churches in the surrounding area.

Motspur Park

Motspur Park, also known locally as West Barnes is a suburb in south-west London in the boroughs of Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames and London Borough of Merton. It owes its identity to the railway station of the same name, which has six trains an hour to London's Waterloo, and to the adjacent parade of small shops. Two prominent gas holders, which are used to store the consumer gas supply for south west London stand just south of the shopping parade and can be seen from a wide area. Two of London’s minor natural water courses run through the area. The Beverley Brook runs south to north through its centre and its smaller tributary the Pyl Brook runs parallel further to the east. These have in the past given rise to some local flooding. The Motspur Park athletics stadium was built by the University of London in 1928 and achieved fame when the world mile record was set there in 1938. It was sold to Fulham Football Club as their training ground in 1999.

Mountsfield Park 13

Mountsfield Park is a public park in the Hither Green and Catford areas of Lewisham. The nearest stations are Hither Green and Catford and Catford Bridge.

Nonsuch Park Cafe Neglected

Nonsuch Park / ˈ n ʌ n ˌ s ʌ t ʃ / is a public park between Stoneleigh, North Cheam, Cheam, and Ewell on the boundaries of the borough of Epsom and Ewell in Surrey, England and the London Borough of Sutton. It is the last surviving part of the Little Park of Nonsuch, a deer hunting park established by Henry VIII of England surrounding the former Nonsuch Palace. The western regions of the larger adjacent Great Park of Nonsuch became known as Worcester Park after the 4th Earl of Worcester was appointed Keeper of the Great Park in 1606. The park contains Nonsuch Mansion, also known as Nonsuch Park House.

Norwood Park (London) 3459

(Redirected from Norwood Park, West Norwood ) < Norwood Park is a 33-acre park located in West Norwood, South East London. It is situated on one of the highest points in the Borough of Lambeth and, on clear days, offers the visitor a spectacular view over London spanning from Hammersmith in the West to the Millennium Dome in the East.

Oaks Park (London)

(Redirected from Oaks Park, Carshalton ) The Oaks Park ( 51°20′N 0°10′W  /  51.333°N 0.167°W  / 51.333; -0.167 ) is a public park in Carshalton in the London Borough of Sutton. It is bounded on the south by Croydon Lane (A2022), and on the east by Woodmansterne Road ; smaller roads lie to west and north.

Old Deer Park 147

Old Deer Park is an area of open space within Richmond, in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, England. It is 147 hectares (360 acres) in extent of which 90.37 hectares (223.3 acres) is classed as "private".

Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park

(Redirected from Olympic Park, London ) Queen Elizabeth II Olympic Park, in London, United Kingdom, is a sporting complex built for the 2012 Summer Olympics and the 2012 Summer Paralympics, situated to the east of the city adjacent to the Stratford City development. It contains the athletes' Olympic Village and several of the sporting venues including the Olympic Stadium and London Aquatics Centre, besides the London Olympics Media Centre. The park is overlooked by the ArcelorMittal Orbit, an observation tower and Britain's largest piece of public art. It was simply called Olympic Park during the Games but was renamed afterward to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II, (though it is not an official Royal Park of London ). The park occupies an area straddling four east London boroughs; Newham, Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Waltham Forest. Part of the park reopened in July 2013, with a large majority of the rest (including the Aquatics Centre, Velopark and Orbit observation tower) reopening in April 2014.

Osterley Park House gardens National trust

Osterley Park is a mansion set in a large park of the same name. It is in the London Borough of Hounslow, part of the western suburbs of London. When the house was built it was surrounded by rural countryside. It was one of a group of large houses close to London which served as country retreats for wealthy families, but were not true country houses on large agricultural estates. Other surviving country retreats of this type near London include Syon House and Chiswick House. The park is one of the largest open spaces in west London, although the M4 motorway cuts across the middle of it.

Paddington Recreation Ground

Paddington Recreation Ground is a park in Maida Vale, City of Westminster, just north of Paddington. The grounds are noted as the earliest public athletic ground of its kind in London. Still the largest area of parkland within the City of Westminster, it attracts users who visit the Grounds for its green-space value. The ground are recognised as a Site of Local Importance for nature conservation. Included within the grounds are ten tennis courts, an athletics track (refurbished in 2012), two artificial grass pitches, and two bowling greens. It has a field which is around 100 metres (330 ft) long and has an artificial cricket wicket. The park has a cafe which sells a selection of homemade items. The water-based hockey pitch is home to Hampstead & Westminster Hockey Club, who have one of the best men's teams in the country, and compete in the English Premier League. Westminster and other organisations undertook a major investment programme, which commenced in 2006 and are scheduled to take place over the next few years.

Parsloes Park 58

Parsloes Park is a 58 hectare public park in Dagenham in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. It is owned and managed by the borough council. A small area opposite the Wren Road entrance is managed for wildlife and designated as a Local Nature Reserve called Parsloes Park Squatts. The park derives its name from the Passelewe family, who owned the land in the thirteenth century. The land was acquired by the London County Council in 1923. The park was opened by MP Christopher Addison on 13 July 1935, marking the official completion of the Becontree estate. It has a children's play area, football pitches, tennis courts, a basketball court, a bowling green, and a lake. Parsloes Park Squatts is an area of rough acid grassland with a historic hedge. There are entrances in Parsloes Avenue, Gale Street and Wren Road.

Peckham Rye Park and Common 133

Peckham Rye is an open space and road in the London Borough of Southwark in London, England. The roughly triangular open space, managed by Southwark Council, consists of two congruent areas, with Peckham Rye Common to the north and Peckham Rye Park to the south. The road Peckham Rye forms the western and eastern perimeter of the open space. Peckham Rye is also Cockney rhyming slang for tie ( necktie ).

Pesthouse Common, Richmond 1

Pesthouse Common, Richmond is an area of public open space on Queen's Road, Richmond in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. It is bordered by mature lime and horse chestnut trees and is managed by Richmond upon Thames London Borough Council to promote nature conservation.

Primrose Hill

Primrose Hill is a hill of 78.1 metres (256 ft) located on the northern side of Regent's Park in London, and also the name given to the surrounding district. The hill has a clear view of central London, as well as Hampstead and Belsize Park to the north. It is one of the most exclusive and expensive residential areas in London and is home to many prominent residents.

Pymmes Park

Pymmes Park is located in Edmonton, London and is bordered by the North Circular Road. The park is a Metropolitan Open Space, Local Importance of Nature Conservation, and a site of Archaeological Importance.

Queen's Park 12

City park in northwest London managed by the Coporation of London. Mainly grass. Cafe. Tennis courts. Childrens play area.

Ranelagh Gardens

The grounds of the Royal Hospital in Chelsea (the "Chelsea Pensioners"). Former pleasure gardens. Open 10am to dusk daily except during the RHS Chelsea Flower show. Free (but donation requested), or optional tour led by a Pensioner.

Ravenscourt Park 8

This article is about the public park. For the London Underground station of this name see Ravenscourt Park tube station and for the Electoral Division see Ravenscourt Park (ward) Ravenscourt Park is an 8.3 hectare (20.5 acre) public park and garden located in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham. It is one of the Borough's flagship parks, having won a Green Flag Award. The Ravenscourt Park tube station is close by.

Royal Park Regent's Park 170 Royal park Viewpoint

Regent's Park (officially The Regent's Park ) is one of the Royal Parks of London. It lies within north-west London, partly in the City of Westminster and partly in the London Borough of Camden. It contains Regent's University London and the London Zoo.

Royal Park Richmond Park 955 Royal park Viewpoint

Richmond Park is the largest of London's Royal Parks. It is the second-largest park in London (after the 10,000 acre Lee Valley Park, whose area extends beyond the M25 into Hertfordshire and Essex ) and is Britain's second-largest urban walled park after Sutton Park, Birmingham. Measuring 3.69 square miles (955 hectares or 2,360 acres ), it is comparable in size to Paris 's Bois de Vincennes (995 ha or 2,458 ac) and Bois de Boulogne (846 ha or 2,090 ac). It is almost half the size of Casa de Campo ( Madrid ) (1750 ha or 4324.34 ac) and around three times the size of Central Park in New York (341 ha or 843 ac). Status [ edit ] Of national and international importance for wildlife conservation, Richmond Park is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), a National Nature Reserve (NNR) and Special Area of Conservation (SAC). The largest Site of Special Scientific Interest in London, it was designated as an SSSI in 1992, excluding the area of the golf course, Pembroke Lodge Gardens and the Gate Gardens. In its citation, Natural England said: "Richmond Park has been managed as a royal deer park since the seventeenth century, producing a range of habitats of value to wildlife. In particular, Richmond Park is of importance for its diverse deadwood beetle fauna associated with the ancient trees found throughout the parkland. In addition the Park supports the most extensive area of dry acid grassland in Greater London." The park was designated as an SAC in April 2005 on account of its having "a large number of ancient trees with decaying timber. It is at the heart of the south London centre of distribution for stag beetle Lucanus cervus, and is a site of national importance for the conservation of the fauna of invertebrates associated with the decaying timber of ancient trees". Since October 1987 the park has also been included, at Grade I, on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens of special historic interest in England, being described in Historic England 's listing as "A royal deer park with pre C15 origins, imparked by Charles I and improved by subsequent monarchs. A public open space since the mid C19". Geography [ edit ] Richmond Park is located in the London Borough of Richmond. It is close to Richmond, Ham, Kingston upon Thames, Wimbledon, Roehampton and East Sheen. Kingston upon Thames Kingston upon Thames Coombe, Kingston Vale

River Brent 170

The River Brent is a river in Greater London, England, and a tributary of the River Thames. 17.9 miles (29 km) in length, it rises in the Borough of Barnet and flows in a generally south-west direction before joining the Tideway stretch of the Thames at Brentford.

River Crane

The River Crane is a river in west London, England, and is a tributary of the River Thames. It is 8.5 miles (13.6 km) long and is entirely flowing through Greater London. River Crane flows through three London boroughs : London Borough of Hillingdon, London Borough of Hounslow and London Borough of Richmond upon Thames.

Roundshaw Downs 52

Roundshaw Downs is a 52.7 hectare Site of Metropolitan Importance for Nature Conservation Roundshaw in the London Boroughs of Sutton and Croydon. An area of 19.6 hectares in Sutton is also a Local Nature Reserve. In the nineteenth century the area was farmland, and in the first half of the twentieth it was Croydon Airport. Most of the site is a mixture of chalk and neutral grassland. Areas of unimproved chalk grassland have species typical of this habitat such as common quaking grass, wild carrot and bird's-foot-trefoil. A grassland flower species is greater yellow rattle, which is nationally protected, and Sutton and Croydon are its national strongholds. The wasp spider Argiope bruennichi builds web in the grasslands. Birds include kestrels and skylarks. the latter a Red List species due to its sharp decline in Britain. The site also has areas of woodland, which have great spotted woodpeckers, blackcap and chiffchaff. There are common whitethroats in scrub areas. There is access from Plough Lane.

Ruskin Park 88

Ruskin Park is situated on Denmark Hill in Camberwell, Lambeth, London, England. It was opened on 2 February 1907 with an area of 24 acres and in 1910 a further 12 acres were added on the south side of the park. It is named after John Ruskin (1819 – 1900), who lived near to the park. During World War I recruits of the 21st Battalion, London Regiment (First Surrey Rifles) based at nearby Flodden Road in Camberwell, trained in the park.

Russia Dock Woodland

Russia Dock Woodland is a long narrow park in Rotherhithe, London, created by the infilling of one of the former Surrey Commercial Docks. The former Russia Dock was originally used for the importing of timber from Norway, Russia and Sweden. The soft wood, known as "deal wood", was mostly used for newsprint and for manufacturing furniture. Following the closure of the docks in the early 1970s, the area was redeveloped by the London Docklands Development Corporation (LDDC). Russia Dock Woodland was made up of a number of docks, including Russia Dock, Island Dock and Surrey Basin, which were infilled (save for a thin 'stream' through the woodland) and planted as a 34.5-acre (140,000 m 2 ) woodland in 1980. The Woodland still contains surviving dock features including the retaining wall capstones, depth gauges, bollards, mooring chains and tracks. In 1985 the LDDC added an artificial hill, Stave Hill, to the west edge of the park, using waste material and rubble. A relief map of the former docks in cast bronze by Michael Rizzello stands at the top of the hill. The woodlands were established by the LDDC and were handed over to and are now managed by Southwark Council with the assistance of the Friends of Russia Dock Woodland. The LDDC established various footbridges (including the Alfred Salter footbridge) and paths (including Waterman's path along the stream) through the woods, which are now maintained by Southwark Council. The Conservation Volunteers organization (formerly the Trust for Urban Ecology) is responsible for the maintenance of the neighbouring Stave Hill Ecological Park, and works closely with the Friends of Russia Dock Woodland to address issues of concern to both areas. Both ares are an excellent resource for residents of and visitors to Rotherhithe.

Sayes Court 148

Located in Deptford, in the London Borough of Lewisham on the Thames Path and in the former parish of St Nicholas, Sayes Court once attracted throngs to visit its celebrated garden created by the seventeenth century diarist John Evelyn. Now completely buried beneath Convoys Wharf and the rundown and vandalised Sayes Court Park, the area shows little sign of its former glory, despite having been a key factor in the creation of the National Trust.

Scadbury Park 741

Scadbury Park is a Local Nature Reserve in Chislehurst in the London Borough of Bromley. It is also a Site of Metropolitan Importance for Nature Conservation. It is over 300 acres, and is part of an extensive wildlife corridor together with Petts Wood and the Jubilee Country Park. It has large areas of ancient woodland, especially oaks, and flowers include Lily of the Valley, which is rare in London. Ponds have London's largest population of protected Great Crested Newts. Much of it is undisturbed grassland, and it also includes a working farm. The main entrance is in Old Perry Street. The entrance piers, still exist. Also a West Lodge to the estate still exists, also on Old Perry Street. The London Loop passes through it from Sidcup By-Pass Road near its junction with Perry Street to St Paul's Cray Road.

Shooter's Hill

(Redirected from Shooters Hill ) Shooter's Hill (or Shooters Hill ) is a district in South East London within the Royal Borough of Greenwich. It borders the London Borough of Bexley. It lies north of Eltham and south of Woolwich. With a height of 423 feet, it is one of the highest points in London. Shooter's Hill also gives its name to the A road which passes through east to west and is part of the A207 road, the A2 road, and also Watling Street.

South Hackney

South Hackney is a district in the London Borough of Hackney situated 4.8 miles (7.7 km) north east of Charing Cross. It is immediately north of Victoria Park and the area centred on Victoria Park Road and Lauriston Road. Sometimes known as Victoria Park Village, particularly by estate agents, to distinguish the residential area from the rest of Hackney. In Tudor times, South Hackney consisted of two small settlements. One around the modern Grove and Lauriston Roads; the other where Grove Street and Well Street meet. There were two moated houses, the one on the north side of Well Street belonging to the Knights Hospitaller in 1416. The house survived into the 18th century, but by then it was in decline and the tenants included chimney sweeps. This is commemorated by the name of the Two Black Boys public house. In Church Crescent, near the church are six almshouses, created by a bequest from William Monger in 1669, and funded by land on Hackney Marshes. This land subsequently came into the control of Sir John Cass. The almshouses were rebuilt in 1849, with funds from Sir John Cass's Foundation. Victoria Park was laid out between 1842–46, the large Victorian villas that characterise this area were built soon after. South Hackney originally had a chapel of ease, but became an independent parish in 1825, with the parish church of St John the Baptist erected in 1848. The area is well served by shops, restaurants and public houses.

South Norwood Country Park 47 Neglected

South Norwood Country Park is a park in South Norwood, close to Elmers End station, mainly in the London Borough of Croydon. It is a 47 hectare (116 acre) green space which opened in 1989. The park occupies a mix of countryside and parkland, and land formerly used for sewage farms serving the growing London population. Croydon Sports Arena, the home of Croydon F.C., is located on the south-eastern edge of the park. There is also a car park and visitor centre which holds annual open days which include face painting, pole lathe demonstration, guided walks, refreshments and a skittle alley to raise awareness for the park. There is also a duck pond similar to the one at South Norwood Lake.

Southwark Park 155

Southwark Park is located in Rotherhithe, in central South East London, and is managed by the London Borough of Southwark. It first opened in 1869 by the Metropolitan Board of Works as one of its first parks. It was designed by Alexander McKenzie and covers 63 acres (250,000 m 2 ). It takes its name from being in what was the old Parliamentary constituency of Southwark at the time of its opening. It received £2.5 million from the National Lottery's Heritage Lottery Fund in 1998 which enabled large parts of the park to be refurbished.

Springfield Park (London) 14

Springfield Park is a park in Upper Clapton in the London Borough of Hackney in north London. The park was formed in 1905 from the grounds of three private houses, one of which still survives as a cafe. It is a local nature reserve.

Royal Park St. James's Park 23 Royal park

St. James' Park is a 23 hectares (57 acres) park in the City of Westminster, central London. The park lies at the southernmost tip of the St James' area, which was named after a leper hospital dedicated to St. James the Less. The park is the most easterly of a near-continuous chain of parks that also comprises (moving westward) Green Park, Hyde Park, and Kensington Gardens. St. James' Park is bounded by Buckingham Palace to the west, The Mall to the north, Horse Guards to the east, and Birdcage Walk to the south. It meets Green Park at Queen's Gardens with the Victoria Memorial at its centre, opposite the entrance to Buckingham Palace. St. James's Palace lies on the opposite side of The Mall. The closest London Underground stations are St. James's Park, Green Park, Victoria, and Westminster.

Stanmore Country Park 30

Stanmore Country Park is a 30.7 hectare public park, Local Nature Reserve and Site of Metropolitan Importance for Nature Conservation in Stanmore in the London Borough of Harrow. It is owned and managed by Harrow Council. The park was part of the grounds of an eighteenth century mansion called Warren House. In 1937 it was acquired by Middlesex County Council and Harrow Urban District Council as public open space. It was later owned by the Greater London Council and transferred to the London Borough of Harrow in 1976. The presence of wild service trees and mature hornbeam shows that part of it is ancient woodland. The main plants in grassland areas are common bent and Yorkshire fog, with tufted hair grass in damp areas. The park has a diverse array of wildlife including Reeve's Muntjac, Red Fox and there has been reported sighting of European Badger, Weasel and even Wild boar in the park although these are unconfirmed. Bird life is also abundant within the park which contains several members of the tit familia, Blackbird, Magpie, Crow. The park also is home to Tawny Owls, Buzzards, and Sparrowhawks. There is access from Kerry Avenue and Dennis Lane.

Stockley County Park 4447

Small public park which is part of a large busines spark and golf cource on a reclaimed rubbish dump. North of Heathrow airport.

Streatham Common

Streatham Common is a large open space on the southern edge of Streatham in the London Borough of Lambeth. It has been designated a Local Nature Reserve. It is one of two former areas of common land in the former parish of Streatham. The other is now known as Tooting Bec Common. After enclosure, the Common was purchased for use as a public open space under the powers conferred under the Metropolitan Commons Act 1878. The Common was conveyed to the Metropolitan Board of Works and was subsequently administered by the London County Council and Greater London Council before maintenance responsibility passed to the London Borough of Lambeth in 1971. The Common had a long tradition of cricket playing from the 18th century, and the right to play cricket is enshrined in the Supplementary Act that brought the common into public ownership. As well as the historic common, there is also an adjacent formal garden, The Rookery, laid out on the site of one of Streatham's historic mineral wells. The Rookery is well known for its old cedar trees and White Garden designed in the same style as that at Sissinghurst Castle. The gently sloping lawns of The Rookery are used as an open-air theatre in the summer. The south east end of Streatham Common and Rookery Gardens abut Norwood Grove within the London Borough of Croydon to form part of a larger series of green spaces along the ridge line from Streatham to Crystal Palace. There is a Management Advisory Committee, which is promoting a Management Plan for the conservation of the Common and Rookery Gardens. A separate Friends of Streatham Common group promotes events on the Common and in the Rookery, including a very successful annual kite festival. Thomas Ripley the famous architect built and lived at 10 Streatham Common South, now known as Ripley House. Henry Tate, founder of the Tate Gallery and the Tate & Lyle sugar company lived at Park Hill by the Common. Streatham Common was recently saved from threat of a "temporary" ice rink being built on it while Tesco's re-develop the site of the former Streatham ice rink by a vigorous local campaign.

Sutcliffe Park 16

Sutcliffe Park is a 16.7 hectare public park in Eltham in the Royal Borough of Greenwich in London. A large part of the park is a local nature reserve and a Site of Borough Importance for Nature Conservation, Grade II. Fauna include dragonflies, damselflies, kingfishers, snipe and reed warblers. The River Quaggy runs through the park, and it has an athletics track and outdoor gym. It received a Green Flag award for 2012-13.

Sydenham Wells Park

Sydenham Wells Park is located in Sydenham, south east London. The park is owned by the London Borough of Lewisham and maintained by Glendale. Wells Park is named after medicinal springs which were found in Sydenham in the seventeenth century, when Sydenham was still in Kent. This attracted crowds of people to the area. Some of the former wells in the area are within the park's grounds and the springs are still active. In 1901 the park was opened to the public and is one of nine parks in the borough to have a Green flag award. Open times vary throughout the year.

Syon House 80 Entrance fee House gardens

Syon House, and its 200-acre (80 hectare) park, Syon Park, is in west London. It belongs to the Duke of Northumberland and is now his family's London residence. The family's traditional central London residence was Northumberland House. The eclectic interior of the house was designed by the architect Robert Adam in the 1760s.

Thames Chase 9842 Cafe

Thames Chase is a community forest of 9842 hectares (24,320 acres/38 square miles) located in 47 sites in London and Essex, England. Its stated aim is...to renew and regenerate the landscape at the edge of East London and South Essex by creating Thames Chase, the Community Forest: a varied wooded landscape for local people to influence, create, use, enjoy and cherish. It has been managed as a community forest since 1990. The forest centre is located near Upminster and is surrounded by 56 hectares (140 acres) of new woodlands, meadows and ponds.

Tooting Commons 375 Lido

The Tooting Commons consist of two adjacent areas of common land lying between Balham, Streatham and Tooting, in south west London : Tooting Bec Common and Tooting Graveney Common. Since 1996, they have been wholly within the London Borough of Wandsworth, which has administered both commons since 1971. Between 1965 and 1995, the eastern part of Tooting Bec Common was within the adjacent London Borough of Lambeth. Wandsworth's Parks Department erroneously described the two historically separate spaces as Tooting Common for many years, but recent signage uses the plural title. Tooting Bec Common includes Tooting Bec Lido and Tooting Graveney Common includes Tooting Bec Stadium.

Trent Park 320

Trent Park is an English country house, together with its former extensive grounds, in north London. The original great house and a number of statues and other structures located within the grounds (such as the Orangery ) are Grade II listed buildings. The site is designated as Metropolitan Green Belt, lies within a conservation area, and is also included within the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England. The house itself until 2012 formed the Trent Park campus of Middlesex University. The campus was home to the performing arts, teacher education, humanities, product design and engineering, television production and biological science departments of the university and the Flood Hazard Research Centre, but was vacated in October 2012. The parkland extends to some 320 hectares (3.2 km 2 ) and has been known as the Trent Country Park since 1973. There is a sports ground in the park, Southgate Hockey Centre.

Tylers Common

Tylers Common, also known as Upminster Common, is common land in the London Borough of Havering. It is one of the largest areas of common land in Greater London, with 32.06 hectares (79.2 acres) of protected commons.

Valence House Museum 68 House gardens

Valence House Museum is the only surviving of the five manor houses of Dagenham. The timber framed museum building, partially surrounded by a moat, is situated in Valence Park off Becontree Avenue, in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham, London, England. The building has been used a manor house, a family home, a town hall, the headquarters of the library service and now houses a museum.

Valentines Park 52

Valentines Park is, at 52 hectares (130 acres), the largest green space in the London Borough of Redbridge, between Ilford and Gants Hill. It was acquired in various purchases and gifts of land, starting in 1898 and culminating in the 1920s. The Valentines Estate had been in private hands since long before the 1690s, when the present Valentines Mansion was built. In 1899 the Cranbrook Estate, to the west of Valentines, was about to be sold for housing. The Municipal Borough of Ilford had acquired its first section of parkland a year previously and was keen to enlarge its size as land became available. Local officials realised that, unless an area of "relaxation and pleasure" was retained for the growing urban population, all traces of an undeveloped rural Ilford would be lost. County Cricket was first played at Valentine's Park in Ilford in 1922 and a pavilion was completed a year later. The first ever county match with Sunday play was played here, this proved to be a success with 6000 spectators attending. [ citation needed ] Valentines Park has undergone an extensive renovation during 2007–2008 financed by the Heritage Lottery Fund and by the owners, the London Borough of Redbridge. There are a number of Grade II and Grade II* features within the park and part of the formal garden layout of the early 18th century park itself is included in the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England at Grade II. Brief ( English Heritage ) listing details for these can be found at Images of England.

Victoria Embankment Gardens

The Victoria Embankment Gardens are a series of gardens on the north side of the River Thames between Blackfriars Bridge and Westminster Bridge in London.

Victoria Park 86

Victoria Park (known colloquially as Vicky Park or the People's Park ) is 86.18 hectares of open space that opened in 1845. It stretches out across part of the East End of London, bordering parts of Bethnal Green, Hackney, and Bow, such as along Old Ford Road, London E3 and Victoria Park Road E9. The park is entirely within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The park has two cafes, The Pavilion Cafe in the West and The Park Cafe in the East. There are two playgrounds, one on either side of the park, as well as sporting facilities and a skatepark in the East. The park is home to many historic artifacts and features and has decorative gardens and wilder natural areas as well as open grass lands. Victoria Park is also used as a concert venue and hosts many festivals each year. The park is approximately a mile away from the London Olympic Park. Owing to its proximity to the Olympic park, it became a venue for the BT London Live event along with Hyde Park during the London 2012 Olympic Games. The park has in recent years gone through a 12 million pound refurbishment and many of the park's old features have been reinstated or repaired.

Walpole Park 69 House gardens

Walpole Park is a municipal urban public open space run by Ealing Borough Council, and its main entrance is situated in Mattock Lane, Ealing, West London. In 1987-10-01 it was registered by English Heritage on the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England. It is some 28 acres (110,000 m 2 ) in size. Within its boundaries are the Pitzhanger Manor museum & art gallery and Perceval Lodge. These buildings and part of the boundary wall are also statutory protected structures of Grade I and Grade II respectively. There is also a late Victorian ornamental lake bordering the House's rear lawn and further west a pond which has a pair of fountains, both of which attract water fowl. The land for the park and Pitzhanger Manor itself, was acquired by the council in 1899 from Sir Spencer Walpole, which in turn had been bought by his father the Rt. Hon. Spencer Horatio Walpole. The sum paid was £40,000. It was opened to the public for the first time on 1 May 1901.

Wandsworth Common 69

Wandsworth common is a public common in Wandsworth, in the London Borough of Wandsworth, south London. It is 69.43 hectares (171.6 acres) and is maintained and regulated by Wandsworth Council.

Wandsworth Park 8

Wandsworth Park is a Grade II listed urban park in the Putney district of London, England. The park is situated along the south bank of the River Thames and bordered to the south by Putney Bridge Road. To the west it backs on to offices on Deodar Road, Putney. At the other end there is a large complex of flats. On the opposite side of the river is the Hurlingham Club. The park is 8 hectares in size and is home to over 350 trees of many different species. Putney Sculpture Trail is in the park. Wandsworth Park was purchased for £33,000 in 1898 by London County Council, Wandsworth District Board, and by public subscription. The land was previously allotment gardens. It was designed and constructed under the supervision of Lt Col John James Sexby, the first Parks Superintendent for the London County Council. The design is dominated by a 3.5 hectare playing field in the centre of the park surrounded by an oval path. The south east corner has a more ornamental design, and an avenue of trees form the northern edge along the river. The design has remained largely unchanged since its construction. The park was formally opened on Saturday 28 February 1903. A bowling green, pavilion, and tennis courts were added in the 1920s.

Wanstead Park 57

Wanstead Park is a grade II listed municipal park covering an area of about 140 acres (57 hectares), located in Wanstead, in the London Borough of Redbridge, historically within the county of Essex. It is bordered to the north by the A12 road, to the east by the River Roding and A406 North Circular Road, to the south by the Aldersbrook Estate and the City of London Cemetery and Crematorium and to the west by Wanstead Golf Course. It is administered as part of Epping Forest by the City of London Corporation, having been purchased by the Corporation in 1880. Today's park once formed part of the deer park of the former manor house of ancient Wanstead Manor, which included much of the urbanised area now known as Wanstead. In order to understand the history of today's municipal park of Wanstead, the history of the ancient manor of Wanstead needs to be examined. For this purpose the modern green spaces of the Park, golf course and Wanstead Flats should be considered as one entity.

Waterlow Park

Waterlow Park is a 26-acre (11 ha) park in the south east of Highgate Village, in North London. It was given to the public by Sir Sydney Waterlow, as "a garden for the gardenless" in 1889. Lauderdale House is at the edge of the park, used as a tea room and for functions and arts events; none of the interior remains in its original state. It is a much modified very old timber framed house, dating back to the sixteenth century. It is surrounded by formal gardens. Set on a hillside, the park is set amongst ponds and offers views across the City of London. It is managed by the London Borough of Camden. After extensive vandalism and neglect it was restored in 2005. It was referenced by Ian Hunter of Mott the Hoople in their song "Waterlow", from the 1971 album "Wildlife".

West Ham Park 190

West Ham Park is a public park in the London Borough of Newham. Spanning 77 acres (31 ha), the park has been managed by the City of London Corporation since 1874. Previously it was the grounds of Ham House, owned by the Gurney family and demolished in 1872. In 1874 John Gurney (1845–1887) gave a large contribution towards the purchase of Ham House and grounds (to which he had succeeded) by the Corporation of the City of London, to serve as a public open space. It features a botanical garden, children's playgrounds and many sporting facilities: football pitches, cricket nets, tennis courts and an athletics track. There is also a nursery that is one of the largest operations of its kind in the UK, producing over 200,000 spring and summer bedding plants each year for the park, gardens and churchyards in the City of London and other Corporation Open Spaces. Plants grown in the Nursery are also used to add floral embellishment to State occasions and banquets hosted by the City of London Corporation. Guided tours of the nursery and Park are available by prior arrangement with the Park Office.

Wildspace Conservation Park 645

The Wildspace Conservation Park, also known as London Riverside Conservation Park or Wildspace, is a major new conservation park under development. The conservation park is predominantly in London, within the London Borough of Havering, but also extends across the capital's administrative boundary and into Thurrock in Essex. It covers much of the Rainham Marshes near to Rainham and Wennington and its area is 645 hectares. The conservation park is being developed by the London Thames Gateway Development Corporation (LTGDC) along with The London Borough of Havering, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), the Mayor of London, Thurrock Council and the Thurruck Thames Gateway Development Corporation on land that is owned by the LTGDC, the London Borough of Havering, the RSPB, the Port of London Authority, Oldrealm Ltd and Cleanaway Ltd. It was opened to the public in 2006 and plans for its future development were set out within a new joint publication, endorsed by Bill Oddie, which illustrates that the first phase of development is expected to be completed in 2008, following which subsequent phases are planned in order to develop the conservation park into a visitor attraction capable of attracting 1,000,000 visitors per annum when completed in 2023. The conservation park is seen as a flagship new green space within the London Riverside section of the London Thames Gateway regeneration area. When complete, it will form a 6.4 km² (640 hectares / 1580 acres) conservation, recreation and amenity zone twice the size of Hampstead Heath.

Wimbledon Park 27

Wimbledon Park is the name of an urban park in Wimbledon and also of the suburb south and east of the park and the Wimbledon Park tube station. The park itself is 27 hectares (67 acres) in area. The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club is immediately to the west of the park. Wimbledon Park should not be confused with the much larger and better known Wimbledon Common, further to the west up the hill. The original park comprised part of the grounds of Wimbledon manor house, the seat of the manor of Wimbledon, situated on the hill to the south, near St Mary's Church, Wimbledon the old parish church of Wimbledon. A series of owners enlarged the park northwards and eastwards. By the 19th century it was at its largest extent, and one of the homes of the Earls Spencer, lords of the manor. The park had been landscaped in the 18th century by Capability Brown when the lake was formed by constructing a dam across a brook that flows from the springline near Wimbledon Common down to the River Wandle in Earlsfield. In 1846, the 4th Earl Spencer sold the estate and house to John Augustus Beaumont a property developer who laid out new roads and sold plots of land for house building. Two roads still bear his name today - Augustus Road and Beaumont Road. Development of the area was slow at first, but continued throughout the second half of the 19th century, gradually nibbling away at the parkland. The modern park was purchased by the Borough of Wimbledon just before the First World War and is, with its ornamental lake, the grounds of the Wimbledon Club and Wimbledon Golf Course, the only remnant of the former, larger park. Late in the 20th century the London Borough of Merton sold on the Golf Course to the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, leaving just the public park and the lake in its ownership. Along the park's northern edge lies Horse Close wood, a small patch of old planted woodland, largely consisting of Ash and Oak. The London Underground District line runs to the east of the Park between Southfields tube station and Wimbledon Park station.

Woolwich Common

Woolwich Common is an area of military land located to the south of the town centre of Woolwich in southeast London, England. It is bounded to the south side by the A207 Shooter's Hill Road, and to the east by Academy Road (part of the A205 South Circular road) that the former Royal Military Academy fronts. Situated to the west is the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. The attractive Rotunda building on Green Hill to the north used to hold many artillery pieces now displayed at Firepower. The octagonal building, designed by John Nash, began life as a display space in St. James's Park during the peace celebrations there in 1814 and was re-erected in Woolwich between 1819 and 1822. It is still possible to see soldiers from the nearby Royal Artillery Barracks (situated at the northern edge of the Common) training there occasionally. Formerly, the common was used extensively by the Royal Artillery as a training area, as the common is also close to the former gun foundries in the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich.

WWT London Wetland Centre 29 Entrance fee

WWT London Wetland Centre is a wetland reserve managed by the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust in the Barnes area of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, by Barn Elms. The site is formed of four disused Victorian reservoirs tucked into a loop in the Thames. The centre first opened in 2000, and in 2002 an area of 29.9 hectares was designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest as the Barn Elms Wetland Centre. The centre occupies more than 100 acres (40 hectares) of land which was formerly occupied by several small reservoirs. These were converted into a wide range of wetland features and habitats before the centre opened in May 2000. It was the first urban project of its kind in the United Kingdom. Many birds which have now made their home in the Centre cannot be found anywhere else in London, and there are nationally significant numbers of gadwall and northern shoveler. Other wild birds include Eurasian bittern, northern pintail, northern lapwing, water rail, rose-ringed parakeet, Eurasian sparrowhawk, sand martin, common kingfisher, little grebe and great crested grebe. It is host to regular lectures and events concerned with preserving Britain’s wetland animals, and was featured on the BBC television programme Seven Natural Wonders in 2005 as one of the wonders of the London area, with a focus on the region's parakeets, in an episode presented by Bill Oddie. In 2012 London Wetland Centre was voted Britain's Favourite Nature Reserve in the BBC Countryfile Magazine Awards.